In the whole of the UK, there are only a few practices which are acknowledged to be leaders in agricultural law – and in the north of England, it’s got to be us.
Our actions over many years on behalf of farmers and landowners have seen us regularly cited in professional directories like the Legal 500 and Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession; a universally-recognised sign of our expertise. So you can come to us with complete confidence to discuss any aspect of agricultural law. The team will be delighted to help and advise.
UK Legal 500 – Cartmell Shepherd has ‘a strong reputation and base in the North of England’, and advises on tenancy succession, the registration and sale of sporting and mineral rights, and renewables matters such as wind, solar PV and hydro schemes. Department head Jonathan Carroll has a ‘breadth of knowledge’ and is ‘capable of thinking outside the box’.
Areas of Agricultural Law that our expertise covers include:
- Farm & property sales & purchase
- Partnership matters & disputes
- Landlord & tenant law, including specialist contentious matters before the Agricultural Land Tribunal & arbitrations
- Commons law, including establishing of Commons Associations
- Wind power and hydro-electric schemes
- Basic Payment Scheme & other Grant Schemes
- Sporting & fishing matters
- Equestrian, including livery & land-use issues
- Compulsory purchase issues
- Complex agricultural wills & succession planning
- Development sales & option agreements